- Hypothyroidism is associated with increased risk for all-cause mortality in patients aged ≥60 years, according to a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Why this matters
- Studies of the association between hypothyroidism and mortality risk in older people have yielded conflicting results, necessitating a meta-analysis.
- Hypothyroidism was associated with increased risk for all-cause mortality compared with euthyroidism (pooled relative risk [RR], 1.26; P<.001 style="list-style-type:circle;">
- In subgroup analysis, increased risk was observed for patients with overt hypothyroidism (pooled RR, 1.10; P=.033), but not in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism (pooled RR, 1.14; P=.239).
- 1,114,638 participants aged ≥60 years from 27 cohort studies were included.
- Funding: None.
- Heterogeneity among included studies.