- Women reporting heavy menstrual bleeding have a rapid and sustained decline after placement of the levonorgestrel 52 mg intrauterine system (IUS).
Why this matters
- 30% women report heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Levonorgestrel 52 mg IUS may be used for indications other than contraception and prevent the need for surgical treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding.
- If patients report heavy menstrual bleeding, consider IUS with higher levonorgestrel dose.
- 74.7% women reported no heavy menstrual bleeding after 1 cycle.
- 15% women with baseline heavy menstrual bleeding experienced amenorrhea after 6 cycles of use (95% CI, 9.1%-20.9%).
- Discontinuation rates in women using IUS who had baseline heavy menstrual bleeding were low.
- Secondary cohort analysis of larger study.
- Cohort obtained from the ACCESS IUS study, a multicenter trial evaluating the contraceptive safety and efficacy of the IUS over 10 years.
- Women who identified as having "heavy menstrual bleeding" at baseline were included in the analysis (n=1714).
- Funding: Medicines360.
- Results may not be generalizable to more diverse populations.
- Causes of heavy menstrual bleeding were not identified.
- Bleeding was only subjectively quantified in this study.