- Laser therapy (LT) is associated with significant volume decreases and a 75% remission rate in patients with benign cystic thyroid nodules.
Why this matters
- LT is considered safe and effective for inducing thyroid nodule necrosis, but its long-term efficacy for benign complex thyroid nodules was unclear.
- 110 patients with a recurrent cytologically benign cystic (≥2 mL cyst volume) thyroid nodule were treated with LT and analyzed for outcomes.
- 19 patients (17 within 6 months) had surgery after LT; median follow-up for the remaining 91 patients was 45 (range, 12-134) months.
- Funding: None.
- LT was associated with a decreased median nodule volume of 85% (range, 9.0-1.2 mL) (P<.001 style="list-style-type:circle;">
- 22.4-19.4 mL; P=.05 in 19 patients who received surgery.
- 7.3-0.8 mL; P<.001 in patients who did not receive surgery.>
- Single-arm study.